Control Arms is a coalition of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and individuals campaigning for a “bulletproof” Arms Trade Treaty to end the human suffering caused by the irresponsible arms trade. A “bulletproof“ treaty means an international, legally-binding agreement that will stop transfers of conventional arms and ammunition that fuel conflict, systemic armed violence, poverty and serious violations of human rights and international humanitarian law.
To become a supporter as an individual, please sign-up in the box on the right. To join Control Arms as an organization, please refer to the membership pledge below.
Organizational members of the Control Arms coalition are asked to:
- Endorse the Control Arms Call to Action
- Abide by the Control Arms Membership Pledge
- Submit answers to a short information form
The Control Arms coalition calls for:
- A robust Arms Trade Treaty to stop transfers when there is a substantial risk that the arms or ammunition are likely to be used in serious violations of international humanitarian law or international human rights law, or fuel armed violence and undermine socio-economic development.
- A legally-binding Arms Trade Treaty that holds governments accountable to existing standards of international law and the UN Charter.
- A global, comprehensive treaty that includes all conventional weapons and ammunition, all transfers and all transactions.
- An enforceable treaty that includes detailed guidelines for full implementation, reporting, international cooperation, compliance and accountability.
The following pledge describes the responsibilities that organizations agree to by becoming a member of the Control Arms coalition.
As a member of the Control Arms civil society coalition, my organization pledges to:
- Actively advocate and campaign for a “bulletproof” Arms Trade Treaty that will protect lives and livelihoods.
- Receive and share regular information updates on campaign actions and developments.
- Assist with campaign development and support targeted advocacy actions.
- Endorse the goals of the Control Arms campaign, and consent not to advocate against agreed coalition positions.
The Control Arms Secretariat supports the members of the coalition in the following way:
- Leadership, advice, encouragement and support to all members.
- Strategic direction towards achieving campaign goals.
- Regular information on campaign planning and actions.
- Support engagement with UN staff/officials and Member States on the ATT process.
- Consultation and engagement with members on conference opportunities, campaign planning and advocacy action.
- Logistical support for campaign growth and member engagement.